Week 2 was plagued by injuries in one of the most painful Sundays I’ve seen. I personally lost Saquon Barkley, Courtland Sutton and Sterling Shepherd this week. These injuries make this weeks waiver wire picks even more important. Here is our list of waiver wire targets for week 2:
- Mike Davis (CAR Panthers): Christian Mccaffrey was one of the few first round picks that got hurt this week. He is likely to be out 4-6 weeks, but he did say he would work hard and be back sooner than expected. So at least for the next three to four weeks expect Mike Davis to take the workhorse role. The next three games for the Panthers are the Chargers, the Cardinals and the Falcons. Other than the Chargers, the Cardinals and the Falcons both struggle against the run and Davis should have big games. Mike Davis should be the first player targeted this week.
- Dion Lewis/ Wayne Gallman (NY Giants): Saquon Barkley was the other top pick to suffer an injury this week and sadly, he will be out all year. The next running back in the depth chart is Dion Lewis and then Wayne Gallman. I would expect a committee in the Giants backfield moving forward with Lewis handling third down work along with some early down work and Gallman to handle redzone work. I believe both should be rostered with Dion Lewis having a higher priority and Wayne Gallman being targeted right after.
- Jordan Reed (SF 49ers): The Niners got the worst of the bunch this past Sunday, losing Jimmy Garoppolo, Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman, Nick Bosa and Solomon Thomas. The Niners are also missing George Kittle and Deebo Samuel the top two receiving threats for the Niners in 2019. In week two’s matchup against the Jets, Jordan Reed had 8 targets from which he caught 7 passes for 50 yards and 2 TDs. If Kittle misses more time which is probable, Reed should be in for an expanded role in the depleted Niners receiver core.
- Dalton Shultz (DAL Cowboys): Blake Jarwin went down in week one’s matchup against the Rams and he is expected to be out for the season. Backup tight end, Dalton Shultz, stepped up big in the Cowboys week 2 matchup. Dak Prescott has also already developed a connection with Shultz. Dak targeted Shultz 10 times from which Shultz caught 9 for 88 yards and 1 TD. Week 3, the Cowboys are up against a depleted Seahawks defense that lost another two starters this past Sunday. Dalton Shultz should be in for a big game along with Dak Prescott as Seahawks have allowed two 395+ yard QBs in both their matchups.
- K’Neal Harry (NE Patriots): Cam Newton is looking better than his MVP season and we saw just a glimpse of that on Sunday night. The Patriots receiver core is very depleted as well, having no one outside of Julian Edelman. The only target Cam Newton has is second year WR, K’Neal Harry. After an underwhelming rookie season due to injuries, Harry cam out Sunday night with a mission. Harry had 12 targets from which he caught 8 passes for 72 yards and was inches away from a game winning TD. Edelman had 11 targets so it is promising to see that Harry had more targets and has a real connection with Cam Newton.
- Other additions: Devonta Freeman (FA), Justin Herbert (LA Chargers), Drew Sample (CIN Bengals), Gardner Minshew (JAC Jaguars), Van Jefferson (LA Rams), Justin Jefferson (Min Vikings), Kendrick Bourne (SF 49ers)